This directory looks at the top startups of 2023 in various industries. This article unveils a comprehensive list of over 100 startups set to make waves across diverse industries, from health tech to the blockchain, artificial intelligence to augmented reality. Get ready to explore the Top Startups to Watch in 2023 as we spotlight the visionaries and innovators shaping the future one bold idea at a time.
Why You Should Trust Us
Since 2009, KillerStartups has been dedicated to featuring, exposing, and finding the top startups worldwide. When we featured Uber in 2010, Founder Travis Kalanick might have still been your driver. Uber raised their first $1.6MM 3 months after we featured them. $4.9B later, we are still proud to have discovered them. Our team takes this mission and editorial integrity seriously.
How We Ranked
Our editorial team ranks startups on several factors:
- funding amounts,
- topic relevance,
- cutting-edge ratio,
- hype ratio,
- big tech sponsors (i.e. Microsoft or Google),
- IPO announcements,
- year founded.
Top Quantum Computing Startups
IonQ is a leading quantum computing firm.
- Their team is based in College Park, Maryland, United States.
- The company was founded in 2015 by Chris Monroe and Jungsang Kim.
- As of March 2021, IonQ has raised about $77 million in funding through numerous funding rounds.
- Rigetti Computing is located in Berkeley, California, USA.
- The company was founded in 2013.
- As of July 2022, Rigetti Computing has raised a total of $190 Million in funding.
The formation of Google Quantum AI is a part of Google’s ongoing commitment to quantum computing, going back to 2006 when they started publishing work on this topic.
- Google Quantum AI is a part of Google LLC, which is headquartered in Mountain View, California, United States.
- However, the lab itself was officially launched in the year 2016.
Top IoT Startups
Armis is the leading asset intelligence cybersecurity company.
- Armis is a startup company located in San Francisco, California, USA.
- The company was founded in 2015.
- As of the last funding round in January 2020, Armis Security raised a significant amount totaling over $540 million.
As a company, Smarten Spaces focuses on offering a cutting-edge end-to-end solution for workspace and building management by leveraging Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Smarten Spaces is a startup company located in Singapore.
- It was founded in the year 2017.
- The company has raised a formidable total of $12 million up to date.
No Traffic is a company working toward redefining the field of traffic management.
- The company was founded in the year 2016.
- No Traffic is an innovative startup based in Palo Alto, California, United States.
- The startup has been successful in raising a significant amount of money, specifically $3.2 million, to support its operations and development.
Top Data Startups
Palantir Technologies is a software company that specializes in big data analytics.
- Palantir Technologies is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, United States.
- The company was founded in the year 2003. Palantir has raised approximately $3.3 billion in funding over several rounds.
- However, it’s worth noting that the company went public in September 2020, which may have provided additional capital.
Clarabridge Analytics is a leading provider of customer experience management solutions based in Reston, Virginia, USA.
- The company was founded in the year 2006.
- As of the available data, Clarabridge has raised a total of $117.5 million in funding.
Zoomdata is a data visualization and analytics platform that helps businesses to turn massive amounts of data into actionable insights.
- Zoomdata is a technology startup based in Reston, Virginia, United States.
- It was founded in the year 2012.
- As for its funding, the company had raised approximately $47.2 million by 2018.
Top AI Startups
OpenAI is an artificial intelligence research lab made up of the for-profit arm, OpenAI LP, and its parent company, the non-profit OpenAI Inc. It is now owned by Microsoft.
- OpenAI is a technology startup located in San Francisco, California, USA.
- The company was founded in December 2015.
- It has achieved significant funding, with its most recent known funding round in 2019 raising $1 billion.
DeepMind is a cutting-edge artificial intelligence (AI) company that specializes in algorithms and machine learning for positive impact.
- DeepMind Technologies Limited, more commonly referred to as DeepMind, is located in London, United Kingdom.
- The company was founded in September 2010.
- Before being acquired by Google’s parent company, Alphabet Inc., in 2014, DeepMind Technologies raised approximately $50 million in funding.
Scale AI is a data platform for Artificial Intelligence that provides high-quality training data for AI applications.
- Scale AI is located in San Francisco, California, in the United States.
- The company was founded in the year 2016 by Alexandr Wang.
- As of April 2021, Scale AI has raised approximately $277.6 million in funding rounds.
Top Cloud Computing Startups
Cockroach Labs is the company behind CockroachDB, an open-source, cloud-native PostgreSQL-compatible database that allows businesses to build and scale applications.
- Cockroach Labs is a software company based in New York City, United States.
- The company was founded in 2015 by three ex-Google employees.
- As of November 2021, Cockroach Labs has raised approximately $355 million in funding across multiple financing rounds.
Confluent offers a real-time data platform built around Apache Kafka.
- Confluent Inc. is located in Mountain View, California, United States.
- The company was founded in 2014 by the original creators of Apache Kafka.
- As of September 2021, Confluent has raised around $456 million in funding.
Databricks is a data analytics and AI company that provides a unified analytics platform, making it easier for its customers to build data-driven solutions.
- Databricks is a San Francisco, California-based company that was founded in 2013.
- It has raised approximately $1.9 billion in funding.
Top AR Startups
Niantic is a renowned software development company known primarily for developing augmented reality (AR) games.
- Niantic is located in San Francisco, California, USA.
- The company was founded in the year 2010.
- Niantic had raised a total of $470 million in funding.
Magic Leap is primarily known for its proprietary wearable technology, enabling users to interact with digital devices in a visually immersive environment.
- Magic Leap is an American startup company based in Plantation, Florida.
- The company was founded in 2010 by Rony Abovitz.
- Magic Leap has managed to raise more than $2.6 billion from a list of investors, including big names like Google and Alibaba Group.
Snapchat is a social media platform that allows users to communicate through short-lived, visual content.
- Its headquarters is located in Santa Monica, California, USA.
- Founded in September 2011 by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown while they were at Stanford University, Snapchat has established itself as one of the leading social media platforms.
- The company went through various stages of fundraising. Initially, in its seed funding stage in 2012, it raised about $485,000, then proceeded into Series A funding where it raised $13.5M in 2013. Snapchat has raised approximately $2.63 billion in funding over 9 rounds, per funding details available on Crunchbase as of 2018.
Top VR Startups
The company is universally acknowledged as one of the leading creators of virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) games.
- Resolution Games is a gaming startup that is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden.
- The company was founded in the year 2015.
- It has been successful in fundraising efforts with a total amount raised of $38.5 million.
Matterport specializes in creating immersive 3D images for the real estate sector, enabling users to design, build, and modify cloud-based 3D models of real-world environments.
- Matterport is a technology company located in Sunnyvale, California, United States.
- The company was founded in the year 2011.
- Matterport has raised approximately $114 million in funding.
Spatial is an augmented reality (AR) startup that focuses on creating immersive AR workplaces.
- Spatial is located in New York and California in the United States.
- The company was founded in 2016 by Anand Agarawala and Jinha Lee.
- Spatial has raised approximately $22 million in funding.
Top CleanTech Startups
SolarWindow Technologies is dedicated to developing innovative and eco-friendly energy-generating solutions.
- A tech startup located in Scottsdale, Arizona, USA.
- The company was founded in the year 1998.
- Information on their total raised money seems undisclosed or not publicly available.
Bloom Energy is a public company that provides clean, reliable, on-site electric power to customers from globally recognized companies to small businesses and homes.
- Bloom Energy is located in Sunnyvale, California, United States.
- The company was founded in the year 2001.
- According to reports, Bloom Energy has successfully raised an equity funding amount of approximately $1.2 billion.
Solid Power is an industry-leading producer of all-solid-state batteries for electric vehicles and mobile power markets.
- Solid Power is a startup company located in Louisville, Colorado, USA.
- The company was founded in the year 2012.
- Solid Power raised about $130 million in a Series B funding round in May 2021.
Top FashionTech Startups
The company operates within the realm of luxury consignment, providing an online and brick-and-mortar marketplace specifically curated for authenticated, pre-owned designer fashion.
- The RealReal is a highly recognized company in San Francisco, California, United States.
- This start-up business was founded in 2011 by Julie Wainwright.
- As of the latest rounds, the company has raised approximately $337.8M in funding.
Stitch Fix is a personal styling platform that combines data science and human judgment to provide personalized clothing and accessories selections for its users.
- Stitch Fix is an American startup located in San Francisco, California.
- It was founded in 2011.
- The company raised approximately $42.5 million in funding prior to going public.
ModCloth’s business model revolves around offering innovative, independent fashion and decor products to online consumers.
- ModCloth is a well-known American online retailer specializing in fashion and décor with a unique, indie touch.
- The company was originally founded in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in January of 2002 by Susan Gregg Koger and Eric Koger.
- Headquarters are presently located in San Francisco, California.
Top IT Startups
Elastic is a search company that provides real-time, scalable, and enterprise-grade search solutions.
- Elastic has raised approximately $162 million from different funding rounds, including equity and debt.
- The company was founded in the year 2012 by Shay Banon.
- Elastic is a global technology startup headquartered in Mountain View, California, USA, with offices in locations around the globe such as Amsterdam, London, and Sydney
Fivetran offers cloud-based, automated data integration services.
- As of late 2020, Fivetran has raised around $163 million in funding. In June 2020, the company completed a Series C funding round that raised $100 million, elevating the startup’s valuation to $1.2 billion.
- Fivetran is located in Oakland, California, United States.
- It was founded in the year 2012 by George Fraser and Taylor Brown.
MongoDB is a software company that builds and supports MongoDB, the most popular NoSQL database.
- MongoDB Inc. is headquartered in New York City, USA.
- The company was established in 2007.
- MongoDB Inc. has raised approximately $311 million through several funding rounds.
Top Real Estate Tech Startups
Opendoor is a technological redefinition of the traditional real estate model.
- It’s an online platform that aims to simplify the process of buying and selling homes.
- Opendoor is a prominent startup based in San Francisco, California.
- The company was founded in March 2014.
DealMachine’s powerful platform is designed to give real estate investors of all experience levels access to the actionable information they need to make the most informed decisions.
- DealMachine is an Indianapolis-based prop-tech company that was founded in April 2017 by David Lecko and Dave Oster.
- Within their first four years in business, DealMachine ranked #36 on Inc 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies and brought in a yearly revenue of $12.9 million.
Zillow operates as an online real estate and rental marketplace.
- Zillow is a thriving startup that has impacted the real estate industry.
- The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, United States.
- It was founded in the year 2006 by Richard Barton and Lloyd Frink.
- Since its inception, Zillow has raised approximately $96.6 million in funding over several rounds. It raised its last $30M in a Series C funding round held in September 2007.
Top Blockchain Startups
The company’s primary mission is to simplify the process of deploying nodes and managing decentralized networks.
- Blockdaemon is a blockchain infrastructure platform in the United States, specifically New York.
- The company was founded in the year 2017.
- As of my latest knowledge, Blockdaemon has successfully raised $28 million in funding.
Consensys is a leading blockchain software technology company that provides developers, enterprises, and people worldwide with blockchain solutions.
- Consensys is a globally-renowned startup company headquartered in Brooklyn, New York, United States.
- It was founded in 2014 by Joseph Lubin.
- As of my latest information, the company has raised approximately $110 million in funding.
Cartesi aims to provide an infrastructure layer for complex computation to bridged with decentralized blockchain networks.
- Cartesi is a blockchain technology company primarily based in Malta, Europe.
- The company was founded in the year 2018.
- As per the latest reports, Cartesi has successfully raised a total funding amount of approximately $1.5 million through its funding rounds.
Top E-commerce Startups
Brandless is an innovative e-commerce company that sells an assortment of home and grocery items under its own Brandless label, all at a price tag of $3 each product.
- Brandless is a direct-to-consumer packaged goods company in San Francisco, California, USA.
- The company was founded in July 2014.
- Brandless successfully raised approximately $292.5 million in funding during its operation.
1stDibs is a digital marketplace connecting buyers and sellers of vintage, antique, and contemporary furniture, home decor, jewelry, watches, and art.
- 1stDibs is a high-end online marketplace in New York City, United States.
- The company was founded in 2000 by Michael Bruno after a trip to Paris, France.
- As for the company’s funding, as of the latest details available (as of the time of this message), 1stDibs has raised approximately $253 million through various rounds of funding.
Boxed is focused on revolutionizing the wholesale shopping club experience for its customers.
- Boxed is a fascinating startup located in New York City, US.
- This company was founded in August 2013.
- The company managed to raise over $240 million in funding.
Top LegalTech Startups
Lex Machina operates within the legal tech industry and is primarily known for its legal analytics software.
- Startups is located in Menlo Park, California, United States.
- The company was founded in 2006.
- Lex Machina had raised a total of $8 million in funding.
The company operates as a comprehensive legal research platform.
- Casetext is a legal tech startup that is based in San Francisco, California, United States.
- The company foundation dates back to September 2013.
- Casetext has managed to raise approximately $20 million in venture capital funding as of current available data.
LawGeex is an AI-driven platform that is designed to help legal teams automate their contract approval process.
- LawGeex is a startup company headquartered in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- It was founded in the year 2014 by Noory Bechor and Ilan Admon.
- The company has raised a total of $21.5 million as per the latest funding data.
Top FinTech Startups
OpenSea is a peer-to-peer marketplace for the distinctive types of digital assets, including crypto collectibles, digital goods, and more.
- OpenSea is a Startup Company located in San Francisco, California, United States.
- It was established in November 2017.
- The company successfully managed to raise an impressive $23 million as of March 2021.
Brigit is dedicated to creating financial health for people living in the United States.
- Brigit is a financial technology (fintech) startup located in New York City, United States.
- It was founded in the year 2017.
- Per the latest data, Brigit has raised a total fund amount of $25.7 million over 4 rounds.
Chipper Cash is a cross-border P2P payment platform that allows users to send and receive money across different countries.
- Chipper Cash is a global company with its headquarters in San Francisco, California, USA.
- The company also has operation centers in different parts of the world including Africa.\
- Chipper Cash was founded in 2018.
- Chipper Cash has raised approximately $203.5 million in funding over several rounds.
Top FoodTech Startups
Perfect Day is an innovative food tech company that employs fermentation to create dairy proteins — namely, casein and whey — without using animals.
- Perfect Day, Inc. is a startup company located in Berkeley, California.
- It was founded in 2014 by Ryan Pandya and Perumal Gandhi.
- Crunchbase said the company has raised approximately $360 million in funding over several rounds.
Impossible Foods is a food tech startup developing plant-based meat and dairy products substitutes.
- In the United States, impossible Foods is based in Redwood City, California.
- The company was founded in 2011 by Patrick O. Brown.
- It has raised approximately $1.4 billion in funding as of early 2021 from a combination of debt and equity.
Soylent’s primary business is the production and distribution of meal replacement products, which are engineered to provide all the nutrition a human body needs.
- Soylent is a food technology startup based in Los Angeles, California.
- The company was founded in 2013 by Rob Rhinehart.
- As per publicly available data, Soylent has garnered more than $72 million in fundraising, helping it to scale its innovative products and expand its operations.
Top HealthTech Startups
Headspace began as an events company but eventually transitioned into developing an application to teach meditation techniques to a wider audience.
- Headspace is a digital health platform that guides meditation and mindfulness to its global audience.
- The company is headquartered in Santa Monica, California.
- It was founded in 2010 by Andy Puddicombe and Richard Pierson.
- As of its last funding round in June 2020, Headspace reportedly raised approximately $215.9 million.
The company is in the fitness tech industry and has created a revolutionary wearable device.
- Whoop is a US-based company, specifically located in Boston, Massachusetts.
- It was founded in the year 2012.
- Until now, it has raised approximately $200 million in funding.
Nomad Health is an innovative healthtech company that seeks to simplify the process of healthcare staffing by eliminating the traditional recruitment broker.
- Nomad Health is located in New York City, New York, in the United States.
- The company was founded in 2015.
- As of the last check in 2019, Nomad Health has successfully raised approximately $50 million in total funding.
Top Gaming Startups
Eneba is an online marketplace for gamers. It prides itself as a platform where gamers can buy, sell, and trade video games, game keys, gift cards, software, and other related digital merchandise.
- Eneba is a globally operating company based in Kaunas, Lithuania.
- The startup was established in the year 2018.
- As for the amount of money raised, according to recent funding data, Eneba has raised a total of $8 million in funding over 1 round.
The company comprises passionate developers and designers with a long history in the gaming industry, with many having worked at companies like Blizzard, Bungie, and Riot.
- Theorycraft Games is a video game development startup based in Los Angeles, California, United States.
- The company was founded in February 2020 by a group of industry veterans.
- Regarding funding, Theorycraft Games raised a total of $37.5 million in a funding round in March 2021.
Redhill Games is a multinational team of hand-picked industry veterans, ranging from hardcore esports enthusiasts to casual gamers.
- Redhill Games is a game development company headquartered in Helsinki, Finland.
- The startup was founded in 2018.
- They specialize in development and publishing of high-quality online games and are known for their deep engagement with the gaming communities.
Top EdTech Startups
Duolingo is dedicated to democratizing education through the power of technology. It is known for being the world’s most popular platform to learn languages, offering 36 different language courses in 24 languages.
- Duolingo is a renowned educational technology startup that is headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
- The company was initially launched in November 2011 and has since grown significantly in its scope and reach.
- In terms of funding, Duolingo has raised a substantial amount of capital over multiple funding rounds. As of its latest Series H funding round, the company has raised an impressive $183 million.
Khan Academy is a non-profit educational organization which aims to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere.
- Khan Academy is located in Mountain View, California in the United States.
- The online learning platform was founded by Salman Khan in 2008.
- Funding information for Khan Academy is somewhat imprecise; however, it’s known that in 2010 the company received a donation of $1.5 million from The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Google also announced around the same time that it would fund the creation of more courses with $2 million.
- Yet, please note that Khan Academy, a non-profit, relies on donations rather than traditional fundraising.
Udemy serves as a marketplace for teaching and learning.
- Udemy is a well-established online learning platform headquartered in San Francisco, California, United States.
- The company was founded in May 2010.
- Udemy raised approximately $223 million in funding as a startup over various rounds.
Top AgTech Startups
DeHaat provides a full-stack agricultural services platform for smallholder farmers throughout India.
- DeHaat is an agricultural technology startup located in Patna, Bihar, India.
- The company was founded in the year 2012.
- Per the latest data from March 2022, DeHaat has raised around $115 Million in total funding.
Trace Genomics is an agriculture technology company that leverages the power of machine learning, genomics, and microbiology to revolutionize the way farmers manage their soil health and disease.
- Trace Genomics is located in San Francisco Bay Area, West Coast, Western US.
- The company was founded in the year 2015.
- As of the available data, Trace Genomics raised $19M in funding during its last funding round.
FarmWise is an agricultural tech company that focuses on creating autonomous, AI-powered machines to assist farmers with their daily tasks, thereby fostering sustainable farming at scale.
- FarmWise is a startup company located in San Francisco, California in the United States.
- The company was founded in the year 2016.
- As per available records, FarmWise has successfully raised a total of $14.5 million in funding.
Top Telecom Startups
Airspace Link is an FAA Approved Supplier of LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization & Notification Capability), allowing drone pilots to interact and plan flights with local government agencies.
- Airspace Link is a technology start-up company based in Detroit, Michigan.
- Founded in 2018, the company has since raised approximately $4 million in its venture capital round.
Cubic Telecom is a global connectivity platform company that offers flexible mobility solutions for IoT, automotive, and device manufacturing companies across the globe.
- Cubic Telecom is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland.
- This startup was founded in the year 2007.
- According to publicly available funding information, the company has raised over $110 million in financing.
Mavenir is a specialist in mobile network transformation. The firm concentrates on software-centric networking solutions that deliver intelligence and security for the Internet of Things (IoT), 5G, VoLTE, and Rich Communication Services (RCS).
- Mavenir is a dynamic technology firm located in Richardson, Texas, United States.
- The company was founded in 2005 and since its inception, it has flourished and expanded remarkably.
- Regarding fundraising, as of the last update, Mavenir has raised approximately $30 million in total funding.
Top Hardware Startups
Aeva develops advanced sensing and perception systems. Its technology is centered around its unique 4D LiDAR sensors, which they are developing for use in autonomous vehicles and other applications.
- Aeva is a startup company based in Mountain View, California.
- It was founded in 2017 by ex-Apple engineers, Mina Rezk and Soroush Salehian.
- As for their funding, the company raised a substantial sum of $227 million in its latest funding round as of December 2020.
Concerning organizational background, Ambarella is a leading developer of low-power, high-definition (HD) and Ultra HD video compression and image processing solutions.
- Ambarella Inc. is a technology company headquartered in Santa Clara, California, United States.
- The renowned organization was founded in the year 2004.
One should note that as a publicly traded company, Ambarella’s funding doesn’t align with traditional venture capital rounds as it’s already listed on the stock market. But it’s worth mentioning the company had a successful Initial Public Offering (IPO) in October 2012, raising approximately $36 million from selling 6 million shares at $6 per share.
Concerning its function, Cerebras Systems is a pioneer in artificial intelligence (AI) computing.
- Cerebras Systems is a computer systems company located in Los Altos, California, USA.
- It was founded in 2016.
- According to various sources, the company has raised $475 million.
Top SaaS Startups
Stripe operates an online payment processing platform designed to facilitate businesses of every size to accept payments online and in mobile apps.
- Stripe is a global technological company located in San Francisco, California, United States.
- The company was founded by brothers Patrick and John Collison in 2010.
- Stripe’s funding has come from multiple rounds, leading to an impressive raise totaling approximately $1.6 billion.
Intercom is an American software company that offers a communication platform for businesses to interact with customers.
- Its headquarters is located in San Francisco, California, United States.
- The company was founded in 2011 by a group of four talented people.
- Intercom raised approximately $241 million in funding, which is quite impressive.
Atlassian primarily focuses on developing products for software developers and project managers.
- Atlassian is an established multinational software company that is headquartered in Sydney, Australia.
- The company was founded in 2002 by Mike Cannon-Brookes and Scott Farquhar.
- When it went public on the NASDAQ in December 2015, the company had not raised any external private capital. Instead, it had successfully grown organically, sustained by revenue from customers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What criteria were used to select these startups?
The startups featured in this article were selected based on a combination of factors, including innovation, market potential, recent developments, funding rounds, and industry impact. We aim to provide a diverse and comprehensive list of startups across various sectors.
Are these startups ranked in any particular order?
No, the startups are not ranked in any particular order. They are all noteworthy in their respective industries, and their placement in the article does not indicate any hierarchy.
How can I get in touch with or invest in these startups?
Each startup in the list will have its own website provided, where you can find more details about their products, services, and investment opportunities. We recommend visiting their official websites or contacting them directly for specific inquiries.
Do these startups cater to a global audience, or are they region-specific?
Many of the startups featured here have global ambitions and target a worldwide audience. However, some startups may be more region-specific in their focus. We’ve tried to include a mix of both to provide a well-rounded view of the startup landscape.
Is this list exhaustive, or are there other startups worth mentioning?
While we’ve included over 100 startups across various industries, the startup ecosystem is vast and constantly evolving. There are undoubtedly many more startups with incredible potential that we haven’t covered in this article. Keep an eye on industry news and trends for updates on emerging startups.
Are there any trends or themes that stand out among these startups?
You’ll notice several trends and themes among these startups, such as sustainability, artificial intelligence, health tech, and blockchain technology. These trends reflect the current focus areas of innovation and disruption in the startup world in 2023.
How often will this list be updated?
This list is a snapshot of startups to watch in 2023 based on our knowledge up to September 2023. We recommend staying tuned to industry news and updates for the latest information on these startups. We may also publish periodic updates or follow-up articles to highlight new developments.
Can I suggest a startup to be included in future editions of this list?
We welcome suggestions for future editions of this list. If you know of a startup that you believe deserves recognition, please get in touch with us with the details, and we will consider it for inclusion in future articles.