Am I the only one ecstatic, suspicious, that it looks as the though the FCC is going to get net neutrality right? Man, am I ready to give that champagne cork that last necessary twist and toast to everyone having equal access to the Internet.
While we hold our collective breath for encouraging signs to become real policy, how about discovering how to become an influencer based on what you read, learning from someone way ahead on the explainer video curve, and becoming inspired by the startups that dazzled on KillerStartups this week.
- RingCaptcha eliminates the hassles that deter new users from installing mobile apps. No lengthy verification process required here: brilliant idea.
- Startups tend to take data privacy so seriously that they are more likely to scare off than they are to convince. Keeply protects your phone from snoops with smart features while ditching any white-knuckle pleas for action.
- Notice served – people are ready to part with RSS feeds and pick up a new tool for following the best blogs online. No need to whisper. It’s called Notey.
- If you find yourself cursing waitstaff, thinking I could have pitched my company to three investors in the time I’ve been waiting for my food to arrive or pay the check, you definitely need to have a look at Settle.
Living the Startup Life
- Lucky are those who push beyond their routines to risk new and perhaps awkward experiences. Even luckier are those who can convert such willingness into healthy habits. Wanna Commit to change?
- Without question travel is more complicated for women than it is for men, particularly when traveling alone. Hard to believe the Go! Girl Guides hasn’t existed until now.
- Need help keeping all you read online straight in your head? We all do. Tagpacker is an ingenious tool that lets you not only revisit favorite reads and discover great content, but also build your reputation as an influencer (if you’re interested) through social features. Trifecta!
Startup Tips & Trends
- Storytelling sets the good and bad explainer videos apart: think the difference between Olympic diving champion and doofus falling off the fraternity roof. Eric Hinson of Explainify talks about online video marketing done right.
- You don’t need to be told how important it is that the customer always feels right. Which at times requires pulling off magic tricks. Here’s a “top-secret collaboration” tool that helps ensure that the audience will always stay wowed.
- You’ll kick yourself for not thinking of it sooner. This old school, low-cost advertising option still wears well.