Here are eight marketing skills that can help you build a great career
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)Search engine optimization is a strategy used to rank your business higher on search engines for certain keywords. This focuses on your organic rank which from a user perspective, appears as if the results were produced naturally.
2. Email MarketingEmail marketing is used by just about every company out there. If you’re proficient with platforms like Sendgrid or Mailchimp you can help your company build robust and effective email marketing campaigns.
3. Facebook AdsSocial media marketing is a broad category within itself. Facebook advertising is a tried a true marketing method. The platform allows you to set realistic marketing campaigns based on your budget. In addition they offer tons of metrics and reporting features to help you stay on track. Try to learn the ins and outs of the platform like building custom audiences, pixels, placements, etc.
4. Influencer MarketingBarrett Wissman works with influencers to help position startups in the right way in-front of the right influencers. He suggests “People buy things from people they trust. Identifying key influencers in your industry is a great way to market your products and services. Influencer marketing really comes down to finding the right contact.” Wissman continues “Always shoot for quality over quantity. If an Instagram account has millions of followers but only gets a couple thousand likes and comments per picture it means they have low engagement. In addition – shoutouts are usually priced off followings. That said you should always aim for engaging influencers over ones with solely high followings.”
5. Snapchat AdvertisingSnapchat will continue to grow its advertising services for brands in 2018. A big advantage of this is that it’s relatively new. If you’re able to learn the ropes of Snapchat ads you’ll be ahead of the curve and highly coveted by big brands.
6. Video Content AdvertisingA picture says a thousand words. So how much does a video say? The ability to create and publish video content is a highly effective marketing strategy. With so many mediums to consume video content i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, you can hit multiple channels with a single piece of content.
7. Building Case StudiesIdentifying your most successful customers are going after similar companies in the industry is one of the most effective sales tactics. In order to quantify their success it’s a great strategy to build a case study. Case studies serve as powerful marketing materials for your sales team and company as a whole.
8. Google AnalyticsThe numbers don’t lie. Google analytics is a great way to measure the effectiveness of each marketing channel and strategy. Whether it’s customer engagement or conversions each of these goals can be tracked using Google Analytics. If you become a master at measuring and reporting your key performance indicators(KPIs) you’ll be a great asset to any marketing team.
Final ThoughtsLike anything in life practice makes perfect. As a marketer you shouldn’t expect to be an expert in every channel. However the more marketing skills you have the more effective you will be managing a marketing team. That said you should get out and learn the eight marketing skills listed above.
Originally published here, by Renzo Costarella.