Wow, last year was filled with inspiring startup stories, incredible entrepreneurial advice, and some awesome improvements on technology. Social media exploded, with networks like LinkedIn and Twitter giving Facebook a run for its money. And startup accelerators popped up all over the world to give wantrepreneurs a fighting chance in the extraordinarily competitive world of tech. But, if I had to crown the tech King of 2012, it would be Mobile. Our little cellular friend was injected with more applications, updates, and advancements than users could possibly download, making our lives more efficient and less of a hassle.
Our KillerStartups team has gathered the best of tech 2012 so you can sit back, relax and get inspired for the new year. Enjoy, my tech-loving friends.
1. The hilarious interview with TheChive Founder Leo Resig – “Seriously, don’t quit your day job.”
2. Our inspiring interview with GrooveShark and OnSwipe founder Andres Barreto – “Everyday that you’re not working towards your passion is a day wasted.”
3. The Top 5 Travel Apps You Shouldn’t Vacation Without – Vayable, TourSphere, Translator with Speech, Couchsurfing, and AirBnB.
4. ChickRX – “The Harvard Grads That Are Making You Hot, Healthy and Happy.”
5. Interview with The View South founder Richard Szkiler – “Go for it, keep at it and you’ll reap the rewards in the end.”
6. Video Marketing strategies from the top videos of 2012 on YouTube.
7. Facearound Local Business Reviews – “Shows you what your friends think of clubs, bars, restaurants, and stores in your area.”
8. Startup roles a-la Bill Murray – “Accept the challenges of the parts that come your way.”
9. Stripe.com – “Stripe manages the financial transaction for their customers by taking in the money and then placing it in users’ bank accounts.”
10. Bootstrapped success for Louis CK – “After just 10 days, C.K. announced that he had earned more than $1 million dollars in revenue.”
11. Pitch Day at Start-Up Chile – “It was day one of a two day process, during which time all 90 teams would compete for 20 chances to be a part of Round Table and receive extra mentorship from the Start-Up Chile crew.”
12. BrandYourself – “BrandYourself.com is the only do-it-yourself platform that empowers anyone to improve their own search results.”
13. Interview with Miguel Hernandez, founder of Grumo Media – “Creating awesome demo videos for clients ranging from Microsoft to smaller internet entrepreneurs.”
14. Interview with Eric Cleckner of Grafighters – “In a nutshell, Grafighters is a game that lets you bring your drawings to life and play with them.”
15. Interview with Outgrow.me founder Sam Fellig – “Outgrow.me is where fully grown Kickstarter projects go.”
16. Philip James of Lot18 – “Philip James, the founder of the online wine distribution company Lot 18, quit his job at Merrill Lynch at the age of 23, sold his house, and moved to Tibet to spend a year preparing to scale the tallest mountain in the world.”
17. Autographic Insight – “Autographic Insight software converts Excel-based reports into infographics and visual representations hosted online.”
18. Ecoscraps – “Ecoscraps is taking leftover food from retail stores and turning it into compost that they sell.”
19. Amirite – “Amirite (Am I right) is a London based startup where users post thoughts, ideas, and opinions on anything and everything to the community.”
20. Dr. Geil Browning’s tips on brain rejuvenation – “Geil says that by using all your senses when you work, your brain is more engaged, entertained and alert.”
Well, there you have it folks. Our top 20 favorite tech stories of 2012. On a personal note, I’ve had an amazing year interviewing, learning from, and being inspired by some of the top entrepreneurs in the world, and I have no doubt there will be some exciting startups to explore in 2013, and you can count on the KillerStartups team to bring you all the magic. Thanks for reading, friends.